Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding

Today I was in the mood to make roast the way my mom does. Many who visited my house and tried my mom's food has often said that her cooking is really good. And those who stay longer than one meal have often said that they gain weight.

Anyways since I was making roast, I decided to try to make Yorkshire pudding. I was going to use one of my recipe book's recipe. However, it said to put the batter in a 8"x8" pan. Wouldn't that make it a huge square Yorkshire pudding??? I've never seen that so I decided to go on the Internet and use a recipe there.

I found an easy one by Jaime Oliver. It was stated in a forum that it was a fool-proof Yorkshire pudding. That sound promising, as I've heard it easy to make but hard to be successful.

First I added milk...



Then flour....



Then eggs and a pinch of salt. I whisked it.



Once the ingredients combined, I let it sat for 10 minutes. Actually, I let it sit longer than 10 minutes because my oven had my roast and no space to make the Yorkshire pudding.



Once roast was done, I put about 1/2cm of oil in a muffin pan. The recipe said to put 1cm of oil but I thought it was too much. I put the pan in the oven for 10 minutes to heat the oil.



Once oil was done, I put the batter in the hot oil. As you can see, the batter is sizzling.



I put the pan in the oven and watched it rise. Do NOT open the oven or else it will go flat.



Here are my Yorkshire pudding. Maybe 20 minutes was a little long but it still turned out well. It was pudding like and creamy in the middle and had a nice chewy texture on the outside.



The only problem is the oil spilled out of the muffin cup and made oily pool in my oven and dripped out on my floor. It's really messy!!!! See the paper towel soaking up the oil as it was dripping out of my oven?? I'm not happy about that.



A side note, here's my rib roast with vegetables.



Doesn't it look perfectly done??



Final Thoughts:

The Yorkshire Pudding recipe was so easy to make and I'm impressed that it worked out so well. I have to say, this recipe is actually a lot better than a lot of restaurant's Yorkshire Pudding. As a matter of fact, I don't often eat this when I'm at a restaurant because they often taste terrible!!!

My concern with this recipe and possibly any Yorkshire Pudding is that it's not a good idea to use non-stick muffin pan because I'm guess the hot oil might make the non-stick material to come off. I think I will go out and buy a cast iron muffin pan to make this.

My second concern is the oily mess in my oven. As I'm typing this now, I am having to clean my oven because I can't stand the oil. Also, I've just had to wash my floor as well. What I would do differently is only make the puddings in the middle row so that when it leaks, hopefully it won't leak out of the pan!!

But bottom line, I'd still make it again.

I'm including the recipe here since it's such an easy recipe plus it's already in public space. Enjoy!!

Jaime Oliver's Yorkshire Pudding

• 285mL milk (thats about a little more than 1 cup)
• 115g flour (approx 1cup)
• pinch of salt
• 3 eggs
• vegetable oil

Preheat oven at 450F.

Mix all ingredients except vegetable oil and let batter rest for 10 minutes.

Put 1cm of oil in muffin tin and preheat oil in oven for 10 minutes.

Add batter to pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Eat right away. It does not store well.

Enjoy!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment