Search This Blog

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Retirement

This is not related to food. Today I just wanted to wish a Canadian icon a happy retirement. Tonight will be Lloyd Robertson's last newcast on CTV National News.

I remember as a child seeing my dad watch Lloyd on the news. As a young child, I thought he was old but remembered his voice. As a kid, I didn't know what professionalism means but he looked smart and knew what he was talking about, even if I thought it was boring (and sad).

When I grew older and started watching news, I watched CTV for sentimental reasons but realized that I enjoyed watching Lloyd. At times I tried other newscast, but felt their news too opinionated (if I can guess what angle you are aiming for, it's pretty obviously it's biased) or the news anchor without much personality or lacking professionalism and integrity.

It's interesting that my youngest brother, who is many years younger than me, also watches CTV National News with Lloyd Robertson. He was not influenced by anyone in our family, as far as I know. It just shows that Lloyd Robertson had such a strong personna and trustworthy in news that almost half a generation family member is attracted to watching his news.

Tonight Lloyd retires. I know that I will miss his voice, his knowledge and him. I wish you a happy retirement with family and friends. I'm sad that I won't see you on tv or the next generation watching you, a Canadian icon. I'll miss you ending your nightly broadcast with your catchphrase "And that's the kind of day it's been." And Thank you for giving the news to me and to Canadians for 35 years on CTV!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment