Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Baking for the Royal Wedding

I don't have a lot of opportunity to bake a layered cake since its hard to eat such a cake by oneself, so I made it while I had enough people to eat it. I made a Layered Banana Cake. It was from the Wooden Spoon for Dessert Recipe Book.

While baking the cake, I was reading the paper and saw a scone recipe. Because of the Royal wedding, there have been lots of recipes for British food, including scones. So I decided to make the scones, in honour of the Royal Wedding while working on my cake.






Layered Banana Cake

First I mixed the dry ingredients that included flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.






Then I creamed sugar and butter. I slowly added eggs.






After mixing that, I added mashed bananas.






Finally I added flour mixture then buttermilk.






I prepared the cake pan by greasing the pan and lining it with parchment paper.






Baked and voila.












I made cream cheese frosting.






Then I frosted the bottom layer and sprinkled pecan nuts. I then put the next cake layer and covered with the frosting.







Here's a slice of the cake.






Current Scone
Like I said earlier, I saw a recipe to make scone in the newspaper. It was from the chef at The Fish House in Vancouver.

First I mixed flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Then I added chilled butter and chopped it. Finally I added currents.






I added buttermilk then formed them into circles and cut into wedges.






Since scones require minimal touching, the shapes aren't great since I didn't want touch them too much.












The scones had a nice texture. It was crunchy and airy. I guess it was worth the shape not being very attractive.

I bought Devonshire cream to go with scone. There was really no need to, as the scone was very tasty.






Final Thoughts:

We had cake, scone and of course tea. It was great!!






Ok, the cake was good but the cream cheese frosting was too sweet. I think I like the cream cheese frosting on my red velvet cupcake. However the cake was quite good, especially with the middle layer with the pecans.

The scone was very nice. My mom preferred my blueberry scones, which I still have not blog yet. However I liked this because of the crunchy texture. We'll see if the texture stays the same tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm making "Dan San" or bow ties. I'm so excited as I don't eat good ones except the ones my mom and poh poh made.

No comments:

Post a Comment