Search This Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Blueberry Crumble Tart

Yesterday I made a Blueberry Crumble Tart (yes I bought sugar!). It was from a recipe book I borrowed from the library called In a Small Kitchen.

The authors' name is Cara Eisenpress and Phobe Lapine. It just came out this summer. This book is designed for people living and small kitchens and don't cook very often.



I read reviews and people seem to like the simplicity and the taste of the food, though one reviewer felt the book would have been more suitable for her 10 years ago. Another comment more for those in their 20s and just starting to cook.


I tried their Plain Jane pancakes. It was a very simple and quick recipe and I didn't have to buy anything special (eg buttermilk). I didn't have regular milk so I used almond milk and hoped that it wouldn't affect the pancake. (it didn't!!)

The pancake batter was thin and the quantity was small. I read the top and the author noted that she prefers pancakes like Crepes but suggested for those who like fluffy pancakes, to add less milk. I added more flour after making the first two.

It was an ok recipe. The reason why I wanted larger quantity is not cos I'm entertaining or eat a lot of pancakes. I like to freeze them (the pancakes) between parchment paper and have frozen pancakes on hand for future breakfast. To warm them, I put them in a toaster or if really pressed for time, in a microwave. Crepe like pancake can only be microwaved.

Anyways, I was a bit uncertain about the book and decided a second recipe, the Blueberry Crumble Tart.

Blueberry Crumble Tart

To make the crust:

Combine 8tbsp or 1stick of melted butter. I hated the measurement. How do I measure 8 tbsp of butter, it's such a pain to scoop in my measuring spoon but if I eyeball it, it'll be inaccurate.

Since I started baking as a child, I always used blocks of butter so never know how much 1 stick unless I look it up in books or Internet. I'm guessing in USA, sticks is a well known measurement for butter and they don't sell in blocks. Is that true?

Anyways, after having a hard time measuring tablespoon of butter, I discovered that if you cut a quarter cup of butter (based on the wrapper and divide this into four, that 1 piece is 1 tablespoon.

So put melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and flour together. Mix with a spatula or spoon.




This was so easy to mix and combine.




Press into a tart pan and bake. Once done baking, let it cool. It'll look like this.



While the crust is baking, I prepared the filling and crumble topping.

To make the filling:

First I prepped the blueberries. I love summer fruit and try to get local. These blueberries are local!!




Mix 2.5 cups of blueberries with 1tbsp sugar and juice of 1 lemon. I didn't have a lemon so used bottled lemon juice. Mix and let it sit until crust is ready.




To make the crumble:

Mix oats, sugar, flour, pinch of salt and pinch of cinnamon together.




Add a 1/4 cup butter.




Use your hand to mix together until forms a crumble.




To assemble:

This is so easy!! Once crust is cooled (about 20 minutes), add blueberries.




Sprinkle the crumble and bake for 40 minutes.




After take it out and let it cool.




Slice....



And enjoy!! Serve with vanilla ice cream and you are in heaven!!!




Final Thoughts:

Wow! This tart was awesome. The crust is like a shortbread biscuit and very buttery!! The blueberry was moist and juicy and the crumble tasty!!

The recipe was so easy to make. I think it took me less than 30 minutes to prepare or felt like it because each step was so simple!!!

The tart was so impressive looking that it would be a great dessert when having a BBQ or potluck picnic. And you won't have a sweat to make it!!!

My only concern with this pie is that it uses 3/4 cup of butter in total. So it's definitely a pie to share and not eat alone.

Anyways, this blueberry tart has made a positive impression for this recipe book, In a Small Kitchen. I would consider trying more recipes from this book. So keep reading this blog cos I'm planning to cook with book and give you my final verdict on this book!!'

Update: I made this at my work potluck and it was so popular. I could see staff not wanting a lot a first since they were so full but after trying a really small slice, they liked it, that they had seconds and thirds and it all disappeared. Also they were amazed that it was not a pre-made crust and that I made it myself . It's a great recipe and like I said in my post, it's impressive!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment